Children and Car Safety
As foster and adoptive families, you will have children in and out of cars often. By following safety guidelines and a few simple tips, we can work together to keep our children as safe possible whenever they are in or around cars.
Car Seat Safety
- Children must remain in rear-facing car seats until age two, or as long as they fit within the height and weight limits of the car seat.
- Children over age two should be in a forward-facing car seat with a five-point harness as long as possible.
- Children under four years old must be restrained in a car seat when riding in a vehicle.
- Children who have outgrown the harness for their forward-facing car seat should ride in a belt-positioning booster seat.
- Children ages four to seven must be restrained by an appropriate car seat or booster seat unless they are taller than four feet nine inches.
- Children under the age of 13 should ride in the back seat.
www.safekids.org for more information regarding car seat safety, installation, and check-ups.
Did you know?
- It only takes a car 10 minutes to heat up 20 degrees inside and become deadly.
- Even at an outside temperature of 60 degrees, the temperature inside your car can reach up to 110 degrees.
- A child dies when his or her body temperature reaches 107 degrees. A child's temperature heats up 3-5 times faster than that of an adult.
DID YOU REMEMBER???
- Check the back seat! Place a reminder article to draw your attention to the child in the back seat before you exit the car.
- Leave your purse, wallet, or a shoe in the back seat
- Place the diaper bag in the front seat
- Phone aps, window stickers and car seat safety devices are available for purchase that can help serve as reminders.
- Never leave a child unattended in a vehicle, even if the windows are open and/or the car is running.
- Keep car doors locked and keys out of children's reach so they do not enter a car unknowingly.
- Pay extra attention when children are playing in the front yard and have easy access to the street.
A CHILD'S LIFE IS WORTH THE TIME. YOU CAN'T REWIND, LOOK BEHIND A SECOND TIME!
Get additional Think.Prevent.Live. Campaign Materials